Study and Work

Working in Austria during your studies

If you would like to work in Austria beside your studies, please make sure to inquire about the legal regulations before commencing employment.

Students from EU countries (except Croatia) do not require a specific work permit.

Students from Non-EU countries and Croatia are subject to the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals and require an employment permit (Beschäftigungsbewilligung). The application for the permit has to be filed with the Public Employment Service (Arbeitsmarktservice) by the employer.

More details about the regulations can be found here.

Students who are in possession of a valid residence permit for study purposes and who hold an employment permit are allowed to work to a limited extent:

Bachelor/Master/PhD students can generally get a work permit for employment for 20 hours per week (as of October 1, 2017).

If you are in any doubt please make sure to inquire at the employment office (Arbeitsmarktservice/AMS) before commencing employment. These regulations do not concern the internships of the study programs.

Working in Austria after graduation

Non-EU students who have completed a degree in Austria can apply for the "Red-White-Red" card, issued by the Austrian authorities for one year and is linked to one specific employer. For full terms and conditions of qualification, please click here.

Non-EU students have 12 months to find a job and to apply for the Red-White-Red Card (as of October 1, 2017). During that time the residency title for students must be extended. Moreover, students still may work up to 20 hours per week.