Visa & Residency Permit

A visa may be required to travel or study in Austria, depending on your nationality. If you need a visa, make sure to apply for it before you come to Austria since visas can only be issued by Austrian embassies or consulates abroad. A residency permit entitles you to stay for longer than 6 months and can be applied for from either abroad or from within Austria. For information about visas and residency permits for studying in Austria, please visit the OeAD Website. For more specific information click here!

If you are under 18, you must have a legal guardian currently legally residing in Austria to sign for you.


  • As of September 1st, applications for a “Residence Permit – Student” can now be submitted to the competent residence authority in Austria after lawful entry and during lawful residence (visa-free or with a visa). If the documents that have to be included with the application are complete, a maximum processing time of 90 days is envisaged.
  • Attention: Please note that an application for a residence permit does not entitle applicants to overstay their lawful residence time! The application should therefore be filed immediately after arrival in Austria.

Please check with your local Austrian embassy for all required documents and formalities before you travel to Austria. Your issued visa is also valid for travel within the member-countries of the Schengen Agreement (Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden).

For further questions, please contact the International Officer.