General MBA / Overview
Different Dimensions of Sustainable Development
The aim of this course is to develop students’ understanding of the key concepts and principles of sustainable development and governance. The seminar deals with the practical implementation of sustainable development. Since sustainable development is one of the target areas on the political agenda, governance structures are essential for its implementation. The main concepts are:
- Sustainable Development – an integrative approach;the governance challenge of sustainable development – from environmental policy to sustainable development policy;
- Governance – a new paradigm?;
- Environmental Governance and Governance for Sustainable Development.
Students will discuss governance issues in sustainable development analyze issues in the form of practical case studies. These case studies will provide an insight into different steering mechanisms for both individual behavioral and societal change, with a strong focus on stakeholder involvement and participation. At the completion of the course, students should be able to answer the following questions.
- What kinds of governance structures are most effective?
- Are new forms of cooperation and coordination needed?
- What are the benefits of the formation of networks and partnerships?
- What challenges and bottlenecks arise from these new organizational forms of governance?
Dr. Sabine Sedlacek